Monday, December 05, 2005

Thoughts on Marketing & Marketing with a Virus

So far, the entries in this blog have been focused on the start-up environment - new companies/services, my market opinions, and events. Yet, I am not doing my background due justice. See, I'm a marketing guy. I think its high-time that I talk about interesting marketing campaigns that I've seen. Since this blog is dedicated to the Internet, I'll focus on online marketing.

Perhaps one of the coolest marketing activities out there is viral marketing. I'm we all agree on this. If you think about it, this is simply a super-charged word-of-mouth campaign. And, I don't think its the way it is now until the Internet came around.

Viral marketing campaigns are more effective as everybody gets connected and uses DSL. Consider this interesting video campaign by SimplyHired (through its SimplyFired website); wouldn't happen without a fast connection. Dave McClure sure knows what he's doing - the use of another website is pretty slick, and the team-up with YouTube is great.

(Speaking of YouTube - you should check out these two funny Korean girls. It's HILARIOUS.)

You probably know about other viral marketing campaigns: there's Burger King's Subservient Chicken. This just blows me away (although its a bit creepy). I blog about the interesting ones in the next entries.

1 Comments:

At 5:33 AM, Blogger Dave said...

hey thanks for the kind words david... we don't always know what we're doing, but at least we get to have a lot of fun with our projects ;)

btw, i agree that video with the 2 korean girls singing is absolutely hilarious. obviously very talented kids; bet they have a bright future in entertainment somewhere.

- dave mcclure
www.simplyhired.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home